An Integrated K-8 Guide for Discovering Science, Ecology, and Whole-Systems Thinking
The School Garden Curriculum offers a unique and comprehensive framework, enabling students to grow their knowledge throughout the school year and build on it from kindergarten to eighth grade. From seasonal garden activities to inquiry projects and science-skill building, children will develop organic gardening solutions, a positive land ethic, systems thinking, and instincts for ecological stewardship.
The book offers:
- A complete K-8 school-wide framework
- Over 200 engaging, weekly lesson plans – ready to share
- Place-based activities, immersive learning, and hands-on activities
- Integration of science, critical thinking, permaculture, and life skills
- Links to Next Generation Science Standards
- Further resources and information sources.
- A model and guide for all educators, The School Garden Curriculum is the complete package for any school wishing to use ecosystem perspectives, science, and permaculture to connect children to positive land ethics, personal responsibility, and wonder, while building vital lifelong skills.
Download The School Garden Curriculum worksheets here
“This book is a beautiful compilation of intentional garden activities, meant to be either taught individually or as a unit, each lesson building on the others. As a busy science teacher who is dedicated to bringing my students outside whenever possible, I so appreciate the work Kaci Rae has already done to create a philosophy of permaculture education but also to weave a multi-year, seasonal framework with this curriculum. The consistency of each lesson’s presentation and outline make them easy to plan and implement as well as build on back in the classroom. This is a wonderfully useful and delightful book for both formal and informal educators wanting to utilize a garden space to engage their students!” -Katie B. K-6 Education Specialist & Garden Coordinator
“The school gardening movement has long been a laboratory of educational innovation. By fusing permaculture with science, Kaci Rae Christopher takes it one step further in effectively promoting systems thinking and garden ethics. Her teacher-friendly new book offers hundreds of lessons for fall, winter and spring that can be accomplished within a single class at each grade level from K-8. Highly recommended.” – Tim Grant, editor emeritus, Green Teacher magazine
Ethical Elements: This book is printed on 100% post-consumer recycled paper. Check out our ethical policies and practices.
The Inside Scoop: This resource comes highly recommended by our resident classroom garden guru, Megan Zeni! Megan offers an abundance of resources and support for teachers on her website.